When older adults begin to evaluate where to retire, they often look to family and friends for advice. However, it can also be beneficial to search for the best cities to retire near; in fact, they may be just around the corner.
One such city receiving positive national attention just so happens to be Winston-Salem, a city located less than 10 minutes away from our own Bermuda Village. What makes this city such a special retirement destination, and where does it rank? Read more about these rankings and find out in our breakdown below.
Winston-Salem: A Top Place to Retire
According to a recent article, Forbes magazine and SmartAsset have both named Winston-Salem among their top picks for retirees, with Forbes placing the city in their top 25 list and SmartAsset ranking it as number 14 on its 2022 list for best cities for an early retirement.
Why has Winston-Salem achieved these high rankings? The article states that it’s because of:
- • The range of great healthcare facilities
- • A low cost of living and a low median home price
- • High quality of life
- • Proximity to higher education, like Salem College, Winston-Salem State University, Wake Forest University, and the University of North Carolina School of the Arts
- • No state estate tax or income tax on Social Security
Winston-Salem also received high marks on its air quality, moderate weather, livability and senior care.
This Isn’t Winston-Salem’s First Rodeo
It’s important to note this isn’t the first time Winston-Salem has received such great rankings. In the past, the article states that Winston-Salem has been voted:
- • 7th Best Place to Retire by U.S. News & World Report in 2020
- • 6th on CNNMoney.com’s 25 Best Places to Retire listing in 2012
- • 11th Best U.S. Retirement Option in 2012 by CBS News
These rankings truly speak to how wonderful our local area is for older adults while inspiring us to ensure our area’s retirement lifestyles keep getting better.
Why Do Bermuda Village Residents Love Winston-Salem?
Bermuda Village residents cherish living in this area, and it’s easy to see why. Being near a metropolitan area with a small-town feel, residents can have the best of both worlds – all while enjoying life in our retirement community.
Discover all the ways our location and community can enhance your retirement experience below.
According to the article, higher education, lower cost of living, lower taxes, housing costs, an active cultural scene, and more had a profound effect on the number of young professionals moving to the area.
As the article states, many young professionals, as well as retirees, are looking for similar opportunities within their lifestyle, so it makes sense that Winston-Salem would be a good fit.
This mix of generations in the area allows for more collaboration, interaction, and opportunities to learn from one another. For example, Bermuda Village residents may volunteer to share their knowledge and experiences with young professionals, allowing them to benefit from their advice and life lessons.
At the same time, residents can benefit from young professionals by learning new skills and gaining new perspectives they may not have considered.
There are a range of cultural events, programs and activities to enjoy in Winston-Salem, and our residents delight in taking advantage of these opportunities. Some of these include:
- • Winston-Salem Symphony
- • Sporting events
- • Festivals and fairs
- • Art exhibits
- • Theater performances and concerts
- • Book clubs and trivia
- • Outdoor art tours
- • Craft Draft Crawl
- • Lifelong learning
Living at Bermuda Village not only puts you close to cultural opportunities in the Winston-Salem metro area; it also puts you right in the heart of all that goes on within our community, including:
- • Social events like cocktail and coffee hours, live music, and parties
- • Card groups and game clubs offering bridge, poker and more
- • Fitness classes and sports
- • Educational pursuits, like our Lifelong Learning Program affiliated with Wake Forest University and our Bermuda Village College series
- • Trips to cultural performances and to experience the arts
- • Groups that cater to a wide variety of hobbies and interests
If you’re looking for a living option that puts you near everything you enjoy while expanding your experiences, the Winston-Salem area and Bermuda Village might be a great place to start.
Throughout Winston-Salem, there are a plethora of dining options to meet different tastes, preferences and moods. Whether you want to travel the world without ever leaving Winston-Salem with regional and international dining, grab some pizza with friends, catch up over coffee or cocktails, or enjoy delectable desserts, you’ll find almost everything you’re looking for – just like in any world-class city.
At Bermuda Village, residents enjoy delicious dining right on campus as well. With lunch in the Atrium Pub or dinner in the Crystal Dining Room, our diverse menus and buffets please the palate. Those who are members of Bermuda Run Country Club can delight in spectacular meals there, or you can simply explore Winston-Salem’s options.
There are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy in Winston-Salem. In fact, according to the Road Runners Club of America, Winston-Salem is a “Runner Friendly Community.” However, that’s not all Winston-Salem has to offer outdoor adventurers. Try some of these activities that will please those of every interest.
- • Relax with friends and family in local parks, or spend the day with grandchildren at our nearby playgrounds.
- • Take a history or ghost tour.
- • Become a member of Bermuda Run Country Club, right beside Bermuda Village, and play some golf.
- • Take horseback riding lessons.
- • Tour our local gardens.
Living at Bermuda Village puts you close to golf courses, gardens and parks, and our community also offers beautiful outdoor spaces.
- • Try shuffleboard or enjoy friendly competition with croquet.
- • Take a book and read in our beautiful Japanese Garden.
- • Enjoy the beauty of nature and see the fruits of your labor in our community garden.
- • Talk a walk throughout our community.
With so many things to do, there is sure to be an outdoor activity you enjoy.
According to Forbes, the healthcare in Winston-Salem is high quality, with a high ratio of physicians per capita. This becomes increasingly important for older adults, as they may need access to these services and additional care.
Our area is well known for quality healthcare, and so is Bermuda Village. Offering care solutions for older adults, including Independent Living, Supportive Care, Skilled Care and Short-Term Rehabilitation, our team will work together to promote health and enhance happiness for our residents.
We also bring in experts from Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist, giving residents access to geriatricians who can oversee care and provide home visits.
No matter what level of care you or a loved one requires, you will receive a personalized care plan, enjoy a range of activities to meet interests, and have the security of support from a dedicated care team.
A Prime Location Where People Retire; Lifestyles Don’t
To learn more about our location and lifestyle, contact the team at Bermuda Village. We would be happy to share additional information about what residents enjoy most about living near Winston-Salem, as well as why they chose Bermuda Village.